Wednesday 15 June 2011

State of Origin



Image by Digitalart
 
I'm currently sitting on the couch next to my hubby. Literally next to him, my elbow is digging into his side as I type. However, for all the interaction I'm getting from him we may as well be on different planets. Yep, the State of Origin is on.

I just don't get the whole Origin thing. Or the whole football thing really, it just seems to be a lot of stopping, running for a few miliseconds, then stopping again. The Bear saw a few moments of a game once and proceeded to ask why the men keep hugging then falling over. A pretty good summary of the game I thought. Anyway, what really confuses me is that Hubby isn't even a huge football fan. He'll happily watch a game if he stumbles across one, but he's never been the type to set aside a day for going to the footy or to ensure he's at home at a certain time to watch a broadcast. But there is something about the Origin that brings out his inner Aussie male-ness and when it's on nothing can separate him from that screen. I think I could strip off naked and do a dance, potentially throwing handfuls of flour across the room while I was at at, and all I'd get was a momentary glance.

I must admit though it's not all bad. I've learn to embrace these nights for what they are and use it as a chance to get all the things we love best but never see a reason to buy. Tonight we're feasting on M&M's, chips, pineapple lumps, jelly snakes, lollies, soft drink and other random yummy things. Oh, and of course hubby has some beer (a quick side note - I went into our local bottle shop when I was about 38 weeks pregnant with the Butterfly to get some beer for hubby and left feeling like the worst Mother in the world. No one said anything, but oh god, the filthy looks I got! I wanted to climb up on the nearest stack of cartons and yell "It's not for me! Don't look at me like that, I'm not going to be actually drinking it!!" Anyway ever since then I've always felt so guilty going in, like I'm being a horrendous Mummy even being in a bottle shop! I know I know, paranoid much? The ironic thing there is I really am the most paranoid person when it comes to what I eat and drink while pregnant. If there is any possible, remote, slightest potential of a chance it might harm my bub I run the other directions!).

Anyhoo's I'm considering gathering up all the other State of Origin widows I know and having a girls night out next time it's played. Something fun and just for us, pampering, or dinner and drinks out. I'm also considering not telling our hubbies and waiting to see if they noticed we were gone......

I'm guessing not :D

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...